ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1017] Acro/airshow pilot Jim Kincaid ki ...

From: Herman Dierks <dierks at austin.ibm.com>

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 16:53:15 UTC

Message:

  FYI, it was reported on TV last nite and in the Austin American
 Statesman that Aerobatic pilot, instructor and Air Show
 pilot Jim Kincaid of Lake Ozark MO was killed on Saturday.
 He was flying in the Airshow at San Marcos Texas.
 The plane was a Pitts, appears to be a S2B. Painted black or
 very dark blue with Gold sunburst.  Paper said he was
 60 yrs old with 20,000 hrs and 4,000 hours of acro time.

 I saw the video on TV. It looked like he did a double snap roll
 on a horizontal line. The second snap recovered into a spin.
 I looked like he recovered on heading after about 1 turn.
 He was very low at this point but continued the pull out.
 He impacted in a flat attitude, did a small bounce an skidded
 30 ft or so.  It looked like he should have been able to survive
 so I don't know what happend to him.  If he had had another 50 or
 100 ft of altitude he would have flown out of it OK.
 The paper said he died at the hospital a few hours after the accident.

 Herman
austin.ibm.com