ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1019] Re: Acro/airshow pilot Jim Kincai ...

From: Alex Galbraith <alex_g at texas.net>

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 19:32:33 UTC

Message:

 Two words can sum up the Unfortunate accident at the San Marcos, Texas
Airport..."Density Altitude."  I was also flying Saturday, but in Austin
which is 30 miles north of San Marcos; I was one of the volunteer pilots
participating in "Challenge Air" program for disabled youth, and was
experiencing the text book effects of density altitude in a C172, loaded
very carefully. The OAT was around 98 degrees F with the relative humidity
very high, resulting in about 100 fpm climb for most of my flights
throughout the day. I agree with Herman, regarding the extra altitude...he
almost had it made from viewing the video of the crash.