ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1045] Why The Pitts Is Unbeatable

From: Dave Hirschman <dhirsch at ix.netcom.com>

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 22:39:31 UTC

Message:

   Call me a fool, but I just traded in a monoplane for a Pitts S1S. Here
are a few reasons why that loud, cramped, hard-to-work-on, old airplane
proved so irresistable to me:

   1) The Pitts S1 is essentially an 850-pound airplane capable of unlimited
aerobatics. The One Design, G-200, Akro1, etc., also are 850-pound airplanes
capable of unlimited aerobatics -- at two or three times the price.

   2) When you arrive in a Pitts, every contest is a de facto one-design
competition.

   3) Fly one of the sequences that Bob Herendeen or Charlie Hillard
mastered in a Pitts (or land in a gusty crosswind), and you are part of an
American legacy. You can measure your progress against those who came before
you.

   4) If you ever lose the engine in a Pitts, the top wing will provide
great roll-over protection. At the Reno air races, I watched in horror as an
aft-CG loaded Pitts oscillated, then crashed nose-down in the dirt at full
speed. When the dust cleared, the canopy slid back and the pilot crawled out
of the wreckage. He had a broken collar bone. Enough said.

   I'll miss the awesome visibility of the monoplane. I'll miss its relative
comfort and cross-country speed. But I'm glad to be back in the Pitts family
 . .

   Dave Hirschman