ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Nationals location

From: "autotech at flash.net" <autotech@flash.net>

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:00:14 UTC

Message:

 Sigh...

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but to share the experiences of
the not-so-distant past...

I was involved in the effort to convert the "IAC Championships" into a
moving national-category contest that would bring a first rank contest near
to all of our membership.  The flack we received was extreme, personal, and
sometimes abusive.  Most of it seemed to stem from a sense of tradition and
"ownership" from having a national contest in Fon du Lac.  In the end, and
perhaps for other reasons that probably wouldn't bear up under scrutiny,
the IAC Championships were just canceled entirely.  Now we are poorer by
one contest.  It seems in retrospect to be "if we can't play in my yard,
I'm taking my ball and nobody gets to play".

The debate was extreme, but made little to no sense.  Most of the debate
against moving it around was that Fon du Lac was equally accessible to all
members.  This position was most often expressed by those living in
Illinois, Wisconsin, and surrounding areas.

In truth, there is simply no single place in the US that provides equal
access to all members.  The thinking at the time was that if the IAC
Championships were to be moved around the country, then at least once every
2 or 3 years, a national contest would be near enough that someone wouldn't
have to take an extra week of vacation just to attend.  Plus, the hosting
chapter could use the event to boost membership, make some money, and get
some positive local publicity.

Now we have one less national-rank contest.  Who is the winner?

The US Nationals have been moved from Grayson before, and although it was
before my time I have heard that it was not a successful exercise and was
moved back.  Over the years Chapter 24 in Dallas has provided a fair amount
of behind the scenes help to make the nationals come together.  Of course,
many other people have contributed as well, but it should be stressed that
organizing a national championship benefits from "corporate memory", and
moving such a thing to another area can result in lost knowledge and
skills, resulting in rough running.

Personally, I would be happy to fly somewhere else for the nationals, even
though I live about 100 miles south of Grayson.  Actually, I don't even
like flying the nationals at all, as it is a great deal of sitting around
for very little flying.  I personally like the UK idea of splitting the
Unlimited/Advanced and Intermediate/Sportsman championships into two
events, but I digress...

Having it every year at the same site goes a long way to keeping the local
community happy, involved, and committed.  Moving away for several years
could result in not being welcome if/when the IAC wanted to return.  A
continuing tradition is easier to get support for than reestablishing a
relationship that has a sense of betrayal in the recent past.

Bottom line - it is probably too hard and likely to create too much
internal conflict to successfully move the nationals.  Anyone leading the
effort to move it had better put on their armor, and then be prepared to
accept the blame if the new site and new volunteers (and new weather) don't
do a job that measures up to the best efforts at Grayson.

If someone thinks we need a national-level contest that is nearer to (enter
your favorite coast here), then why not expend the same efforts
re-organizing the IAC Championships?  It would require no more work,
probably generate less internal conflict, and would result in one more
contest rather than a disrupted national championships.  Plus, if you
really think the nationals should be somewhere else, this would let you try
out new locations without breaking the valuable ties at the current
location until your new deal proves to be a good choice.  Who says you'd
pick the right new location the first year out of the box?

Think in terms of adding something new instead of just rearranging the
chairs on the Titanic.

Don P.