ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1145] Thread: IAC-L:1134 RE:Nationals U ...

From: "Luszcz, Michael S (Michael)" <luszcz at lucent.com>

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:12:09 UTC

Message:

 I have read several messages regarding using Myrtle Beach, S.C. as a
contest site. While Myrtle Beach is a beautiful place with lots of
hotels, restaurants, golf courses, things to do...  it may not be a good
place for a contest.

It has only 1 runway. It is an airport served by the major carriers. Not
sure if there is enough space for a box.  Would the FAA grant a waiver?
While it does have several large military hangers I think most are being
used by private business now.  Being right on the water it is subject to
those sea breeze thunderstorms, showers and clouds. Like Texas, this is
the time of year that first cold front could pass through.

The weather was excellent for the Reno air races ... is it always that
good there?  Maybe there?