ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1174] Re: Thread: IAC-L:1134 RE:Nationa ...

From: "Drew Lundgren" <acrodrew at nol.net>

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 15:02:17 UTC

Message:

 ----------
> From: CPLNE at aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of list <iac-l at listproc.eracer.org>
> Subject: [IAC-L:1169] Re: Thread: IAC-L:1134 RE:Nationals Update
> Date: Wednesday, October 01, 1997 7:43 AM
>
> Myrtle Beach S.C. would indeed be a great spot for not only the nationals
but
> for a short vacation.  Reno the same, unfortunally, neither place is
> centrally located and only convient for those either on the east coast or
the
> west coast.  The Nationals must be centrally located so the entire U S
can
> enjoy!

Just as a point of interest, a few years ago I used the slate of aerobatic
competition pilots in the United States as listed in Sport Aerobatics to
identify a good location for a national contest.  Using their home states
and dividing the larger states into smaller chunks, I listed the geographic
coordinates of each of the 600+ pilots.  With that information it was very
easy to find the population center of the active competition pilots.  It
was very near Shawnee, Oklahoma.  This is because the lion's share of
active pilots are in Florida, Texas, Arizona and California.  Shawnee is
not far from Grayson County airport.  For this reason, I recommend and
agree with Allyson Parker-Lauck that we move the contest to an earlier date
and not change the location.

I do like the idea of vacationing in Myrtle Beach, the Bahamas, or many of
the other mentioned locations.  Phoenix in the winter would be okay for
Nationals, but I wouldn't want to be the pilot from the east coast wanting
to compete.  How far is it from Bangor, Maine to Phoenix.  Too far.

Drew Lundgren - Pres. IAC 25.