ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1214] Re: TIGER DAYS, was: Four Minute ...

From: pilots at planet.net

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 21:51:21 UTC

Message:

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Dave Hirschman <dhirsch at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>a couple of things seem obvious.
>First, pilots passionately want to fly outside the mechanical,
>cookie-cutter method that IAC contests promote.

What we need is a "not FAI/IAC' format for competition in
a friendlier, less competative venue. A return to the old
"Tiger Days" if you will. Where the quality of the wine
and camaraderie was of equal concern as the quality of the flying.

>I, for one, would love to see the Stampe routine . . .

Go to France where it is still flown as a 'one design'.
Where even Bucher Jungmanns are considered too 'high tech'
to be allowed into the contest, never mind a Zlin.

If we 'really' want a one-design, we should all buy Tiger Moths.
I really would love to see a classic aerobatic aircraft
contest, with a design cut-off date of perhaps 1960.

Think of it: Zlin's, Stampe, Jungmann, Tiger Moth, Acrostar,
Yak-18PM, etc... No hiding behind horsepower and in any of those!

Just dreaming.......

Dave Sutton
Zlin 526, Yak-50