ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1216] 4-minute

From: "PAUL LOGUE" <GPAULOGUE at classic.msn.com>

Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 02:38:25 UTC

Message:

 Well, I never would have started this 4-minute discussion, but since it's on
the table, I cannot resist giving a viewpoint:

The 4-minute is a legal way to have an "airshow" within the structure of an
IAC competition.
I love to see good airshow flying.  I had a steady diet of performing in years
past, but it would not bother me if the "4-minute" vanished, never to be seen
again.

In my opinion,  the 4-minute has no place in the arena with  "precision sport
aerobatics", not to say that it doesn't require skill and talent, but is, in
many cases self-serving, ego driven, dangerous and at some contests a waste of
contest time.  I have talked to more than one pilot that said they enter the
4-min with a blank piece of paper.  As most of us know, practicing strange and
exotic figures for the first time  at low level can be lethal. During some
figures, the 4-min pilot could almost be considered a  passenger while his
airplane tumbles and cartwheels end over end...hoping it will exit with some
controllability left in it's airframe and engine.

With the advent of the very high-performance airplanes, some of our most
talented competition pilots have gotten a good case of the wobblies as a
result of taking themselves to and even beyond their limits. Hubie Tolson and
Kirby Chambliss to mention only two.  For some, it ends their competition
careers.

After judging our normal categories for three days, try setting down and
judging the 4-minute.
Throw away everything in the red book, except that which deals with
Originality, Versatility, Harmony & Rhythm and Execution.  Oh, and for
crossing the "deadline", just downgrade their execution score.

In summary, the 4-minute belongs at all those great airshow sites around the
US that we all attend and enjoy.

Good flying!

Paul Logue
IAC # 1247