ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1354] Re: more on John Denver

From: Steve Carpenter <stevec1 at interport.net>

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 06:15:44 UTC

Message:

 Apparently John Denver had two DUI incidents and was awaiting some kind of
court procedure due in January.  He was refused his last medical due to
these two incidents.  In fact, the FAA apparently had requested him to
surrender his medical certificate, but he had not yet done so and the FAA
had not yet pressed the issue further.

-Steve Carpenter
New York, NY

At 06:28 PM 10/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The FAA instituted a change in process for medical certificates around the
>time that there were some air carrier episodes involving alcohol and one in
>which cocaine was involved, I believe.  That was a long time ago and my
>memory may be at fault.  However, we who did medical exams were required to
>request information from pilots (form 8500) regarding convictions for use of
>drugs of all kinds.  We were not allowed to issue a certificate if the
>applicant noted these episode(s).  The case then went to OK City Headquarters
>for evaluation.  They in turn tap into the national drivers licence data
>base.  When you (re)apply for a medical certificate you provide the FAA with
>the right to obtain this information. It is possible for recovered alcoholics
>to regain their certificate.  I helped some do so.  It requires good
>documentation of the progress in sobriety.  There have been surprisingly few
>alcohol or drug related mishaps in aviation considering that fifty percent of
>all automobile accidents are substance abuse related.  The only reason for
>unequal treatment of aviators is the fear of the public that their airline
>captain may be impaired or that an airplane is going to fall out of the sky
>upon them.  The public controls congress and the congress controls the FAA.
>
>Dick Rihn
>Aviation Medical Examiner, (Ret.)

-------
Steve Carpenter