ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1374] Re: EZ

From: "Sheldon Apsell" <SHELDONA at FS.MICROLOGIC.COM>

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 20:58:24 UTC

Message:

                                                     October 16, 1997

Harold,

     It's not just the media that think homebuilts are less
safe than certified aircraft.  I own a Baron and a Pitts
and am building a Loehle 5151.  But because I also
believe homebuilts are less safe (at least any aircraft
that I build) I never intend to fly the 5151.  I am building
it solely for the fun of building.  Are there any hard statistics
that compare the safety record of homebuilts with fully
certified aircraft?  This is a question that can best be
answered with real numbers.  I would be surprised if the
accident and fatality rates for homebuilts are anywhere
near as good as the numbers for certified aircraft.

     Fly safely and have fun.

                                                Sheldon Apsell
                                                Newton, MA
                                                Pitts S-2B   N11AN