ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1376] Re: EZ

From: Jeffrey Lo <Jeffrey_Lo at ccm.sc.intel.com>

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:58:25 UTC

Message:

 >From the EAA site (www.eaa.org):

HOW SAFE ARE AMATEUR-BUILT/CUSTOM-BUILT AIRCRAFT?
Studies by FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) show
that Amateur-Built/Custom-Built aircraft have an accident rate less than
one percentage point higher than the general aviation fleet. In fact,
the accident rate for Amateur-Built/Custom-Built aircraft is dropping.
The total number of registered homebuilt aircraft is increasing by about
1,000 per year, while the total number of accidents has stayed virtually
the same. Another good barometer of safety is insurance rates.
Companies that insure both homebuilts and production aircraft charge
about the same rates for owners of either type of airplane. That
indicates a similar level of risk.

Also, I need to go find the reference, but what I once heard is that
after the first 40-50 hours, homebuilts have proven to have safety
records essentially the same as those of certified aircraft.

Jeff Lo
Jeffrey_Lo at ccm.intel.com, jlo at pacbell.net
1988 Pitts Special S1S N230MP, Reno race #6
San Jose, CA

--------

October 16, 1997

Harold,

It's not just the media that think homebuilts are less
safe than certified aircraft.  I own a Baron and a Pitts and am building
a Loehle 5151.  But because I also believe homebuilts are less safe (at
least any aircraft
that I build) I never intend to fly the 5151.  I am building
it solely for the fun of building.  Are there any hard statistics that
compare the safety record of homebuilts with fully
certified aircraft?  This is a question that can best be
answered with real numbers.  I would be surprised if the
accident and fatality rates for homebuilts are anywhere
near as good as the numbers for certified aircraft.

     Fly safely and have fun.

                                                Sheldon Apsell
                                                Newton, MA
                                                Pitts S-2B   N11AN