ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1378] Re: EZ

From: jmaurer at thomtech.com

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 22:10:51 UTC

Message:

     Of course it's all a matter of opinion, but I would feel infinitely
     safer in a new homebuilt than a used, certified airplane.

     Take, for instance, something we have all probably flown in, training
     aircraft... The local FBO's 152 for example.

     What do you know about the plane? NOTHING!

     Consider the following scerarios: Joe Blow, a recently soloed pilot
     goes flying on his first solo cross country...  Since he is so intent
     on flying the airplane, he neglects to look over an the tach in a
     descent and realizes he forgot to pull the power back. The tach has
     been indicating 200 rpm over the red line for the last five minutes.
     As a renter, will you EVER be made aware of this? NOPE. What about the
     guy who is racing to get home as bad weather comes in and is flying in
     turbulence 10 KTS above Va? Will you ever hear about that? NOPE.

     I owned a 1968 cessna 150, and I have no idea what torture that plane
     endured over the 27 years prior to my ownership. That's a scary
     concept! The airframe could have been overstressed, engine over-revved
     or run at more than 75% power for long periods of time, un-documented
     damage could have ooccured to the plane or worse. You just never know.

     I know that any homebuilt that I built would be one of the safest
     planes in the sky because I would make sure that everything about the
     assembly of the plane was perfect.

     jeff maurer