ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1497] Re: Long Term Effects of G-Forces

From: "Walt Bell" <cricket at icon.net>

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:55:23 UTC

Message:

 Hi fjt,

As a physician, and aerobatic pilot, I maintain a passing interest in the
medical aspects of the hobby.
To my knowledge, there have been no long-term studies on the effects of
aerobatic g-forces on pilots.   We can all anecdotally point to many
aviators into their late fifties and even seventies that have been
subjected daily to high positive and negative accelerative forces with no
apparent ill effects.
If your friend is worried that his headaches are being "passed off" as due
to his aerobatic flying, then perhaps another opinion in the matter would
be in order.   The internal medicine subspeciality of neurology deals, in
part, with the in-depth evaluation of headache.   If his problem was not
evaluated by a neurologist, then perhaps it should be.
fly safe...

walt