ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1498] Re: Long Term Effects of G-Forces

From: RIHNAIRCO at aol.com

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 01:16:52 UTC

Message:

 A great many years ago the US Navy did a lot of centrifuge studies on willing
volunteers in return for liberty etc.  The volunteers were subjected to a
huge battery of IQ, Rorshach and other psychological tests before beginning
the experiment.  They were then placed in the human centrifuge and spun to
unconsciousness in a very carefully orchestrated, timed experiment.   The
periods of unconsciousness were gradually increased.   At intervals the
subjects were re-tested to see if the periods of unconsciousness were causing
loss of mental powers.  They found that there were no changes under ordinary
inflight types of stress from which an aviator would likely recover the
aircraft.  As I recall one of the sailors had over 24 hours of cummulative
loss of consciousness and still did not show any deterioration of intellect
or psychiatric condition.

If your  friend is having headaches it probably is not from positive "G"
forces.  Negative "G" forces are notorious for producing headaches in the
untrained or non-current aerobatic pilot.  Also the stress and strain of
aerobatic flight on the neck spine and muscles can lead to headache.
 Training repeatedly and escalating the magnitude of the physical challenge
removes these problems in most people.

There are many, many other causes for headache.  I don't believe positive "G"
damages the brain or causes headaches.  If so I am not aware of any
documentation in the aviation medicine literature. Iin fact there is
documentation that would refute such a belief.

Dick Rihn