ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1547] Remembering Ken Hadden

From: Gypsy444 at aol.com

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 13:04:05 UTC

Message:

I will always remember Ken Hadden with great respect too.  The words always
used to describe him are enthusiastic, helpful, sincere, encouraging, nice,
all true, and I would add not an energy vampire!  He gave positive energy to
everyone.  The man was such a huge contributor to life.

It was a special treat for me to fly with Ken at Oshkosh this summer.
  Oshkosh is a difficult place to "be invited" to fly, and Ken was thrilled
at the opportunity (as was I my first time, and every time) to fly there in
front of one million of his best friends.    It was simply delightful, seeing
his joy and happiness at being there, and his enthusiasm at the briefings was
contagious.  He flew a beautiful routine in his glider.

Ken knew a lot about how to be a good Board member.  His attitude was always
"What can I do for you?"  He had a lot to teach the sport.  He listened to
people in the sport and wanted to respond to their concerns.  I think this
was very important to him.

I think of the work that Ken and Barb did to arrange and coordinate the 1992
U.S. Aerobatic Team training session at Rickenbacker Air Force Base in
Columbus.  The Team members were naturally engrossed in flying three
exhausting flights a day, but I look back now at how much of an effort that
was for him.  But Ken was thrilled to be able to - again - contribute, to
help, to make a difference.

One time Phil Knight, Ken and I flew back from one airport to another outside
Columbus when we were training there.  Ken was in his S-2B and Phil and I in
Extras.  We told Ken, who had little formation experience at that time, to
just fly straight and level while we tucked in on him.   Well you should have
seen his eyes when he saw how close we really did fly.  To us it was just a
formation flight.  But Ken told Barb later, Man, I could see Phil's eyeballs
and smell Patty's perfume, they were so close!!

His sincerity, his enthusiasm, belief in the best that is in us and
willingness to make the sport better, makes it easier to believe in it.
  It's easy to lose faith when you see a lack of support for the reason that
brings you together in any sport...the love of it and the desire to improve
it.....but it's a lot easier to get your innocence and faith back when you
meet someone like Ken Hadden.

Patty