ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1546] Clarke: "Why?"

From: "Marc S. Ludtke" <ludtke at whidbey.com>

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:46:45 UTC

Message:

 Hello folks,

Does anybody know what the proper C.G. range for the Clarke 'Y' airfoil is
(in MAC, of course)???  I'm trying to develop some comparison info to back
up some factory data that is some 60 years old.  Also, how do you translate
"mean aerodynamic chord" into actual fuselage station locations?  The
aircraft in question has a constant chord, but has a significant portion of
the wing area devoted to a pair of large, curvacious, sexy, well-rounded,
semi-eliptical wingtips.  (Any guesses?)
How does this large wingtip/short span affect the relationship between
"mean" aerodynamic chord and "actual" chord at the root?  Can I just ignore
the tips and use straight root-chord?
If your'e still wondering what it is, it's  not a Spitfire, but close...the
airplane in question is a Clipwing Monocoupe 110 Special.  (Yes, NC2064 is
flying again!)
I hope to have her at a few Northwest events next season, if we still have
her (she's for sale).

Thanks,
Marc Ludtke
ludtke at whidbey.com