Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1596] FW: Think before we fly!

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1596] FW: Think before we fly!

Thread: [IAC-L:1596] FW: Think before we fly!

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:02:42 UTC

-----Original Message-----
Sent:	Tuesday, October 28, 1997 10:15 AM
To:	'iac_l at eracer.org'
Subject:	Think before we fly!

I have spent the better part of the last week thinking of Ken Hadden and his
untimely, and extremely disturbing death.  I understand that Ken departed the airport
and performed a reverse Half-cuban with a half snap(in place of the half roll) on the
45 up.     I don't want to debate the issue of hotrodding or showing our ass.  Right
or wrong, we've all been prone to let our ego exceed our common sense.  I am
concerned that we often don't properly "prefly" and/or think before we fly.  I have
been called on the carpet once or twice myself, and the people explaining the error
of MY ways also confessed their own errors and related the events as happened to
them. Those who have climbed to the highest ranks of our sport have screwed up
before, too.  

If I had intended the same manuever I feel Ken would have pulled me aside,
questioned my intentions,and EXPLAINED why it wouldn't be a good idea.  He might have
even compared and contrasted the Reverse Half-Cuban as opposed to a conventional
Half-Cuban.

I believe Ken would have talked with me through my entire proposed flight and
explained the potential hazards.  It would probably have gone something as follows:

Ken: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!  You don't want to do this! And I'm going to tell you
why!

Scott, If you are to begin a figure immediately after departure and you can't dive,
the MAXIMUM airspeed you could possibly attain would be your airplane's max level
flight speed at full throttle.  Since you have a limited amount of runway length,
which is grass, you probably won't even attain that airspeed.  

Second.  Why do you want to do that particular manuever, and why do you want the same
entry/exit altitude?  If you use a looping/rolling combination to perform a 180
degree change of direction, at some point in the figure the airplane must be
verticle.  Either nose up or nose down, and the choice is yours!  With a
Reverse-Half, you start with a 45 up line.  The half snap in the middle is going to
eat up any energy that would help you to gain altitude.  On the subsequent float and
pull, you are going to bring the airplane's attitude to a verticle down.  At this
point you are totally committed to completing the manuever as intended.  

If you perform a HALF-CUBAN, you will pull the airplane UP through the verticle line
and float so not to pinch the 5/8 looping portion, continue to gain altitude, and
never commit yourself to a verticle down attitude.  You will have more time to assess
your ALTITUDE and you can very easily make the 45 down shallow, and half-roll instead
of half-snap.  If anything goes wrong, you are high, with the critical part of the
figure behind you.  You will have more time to correct any error or to address any
problem. Most importantly, you are not as likely to place yourself in a critical
altitude situation! 

Ken could have changed the mind of the most self-centered, egotistical adrenaline
pumped person and made him or her feel good about it.  

I sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone by writing this, most especially
Barb.  My intent is not to question Ken's thoughts, but for everyone to question
their own before ANY flight.  If Ken Hadden could make this error in judgement, any
one of us could.  Their are many, many people in this sport who have a great deal
more knowledge and experience than me.  If I am wrong or out of line, please respond
either publicly or privately.  

I haven't been active in IAC for two years and I miss it dearly.  A few weeks ago DW
commented about the loss of so many friends and aquaintances over the last several
years.  I agree, and am saddened that we have added two more to our list this week. 
Yet I still look forward to buying another Pitts, and rejoining the comraderie of the
contest environment.  I hope to see a lot of familiar faces!  I just really wish that
Ken could sit around and tell us how he "rolled that goddamned airplane up in a ball"
and how we (and he) don't need to do improvised airshows! 

Take Care, Fly Safe and Well,

Scott Oglesby
Bartow, FL

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn