ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1654] Re: Boxes in General

From: Steve Pennypacker <spennypacker at odo.vicorp.com>

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:54:14 UTC

Message:

>What we have here is almost exactly what Patty described and we protect
>it zealously by following the provisions of the waiver and by practicing
>courtesy towards our fellow non-acro pilots and our quickly encroaching
>residential neighbors.  However, our neighbors, having moved near the
>airport within the last year, hate the airplane noise. They've learned
>that the FAA can't stop noise so they found out about the FAR's and now
>they call and make false reports about us flying over their houses
>performing aerobatics - patently untrue.  I decided that there must be

Is it possible that this is a matter of perception?  A neighbor might
consider a plane viewed at a 45 degree angle from their deck as "flying over
my house", whereas the pilot flying in the box sees the house as half a mile
away, well outside of the box.

>some statute against the capricious and petty use of a federal agency to
>carry out a personal vendetta through the use of false statements.
>Consequently, I e-mailed one of my Senators, Kay Baily Hutchison, to
>find the statute for me.  The senator's office e-mailed back and said I
>would be responded to, though I haven't heard yet.  Does anyone know
>about such a statute?

I would suggest that trying to work this out with the neighbors would be a
whole lot more beneficial (although maybe more difficult up front) to you in
the long run than fighting them with legalities.

-Steve