ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1674] Boxes in General

From: John Taber <pittsace at earthlink.net>

Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 01:35:47 UTC

Message:

 One trick I learned about getting box waivers is that it helps to go to
the ATC folks first and get them on your side before actually requesting
the waiver through the FISDO. This eliminates the "oh! ATC won't allow it
" loophole. One wants to work with the feds but sometimes they are just a
tad narrow minded. When we got our box at Hearne, TX they made us put it
on the east side of the airport, over some houses and near the edge of
town rather than on the unpopulated west side of the airport. Why?
Because the airway that crossed over the airport was just a smidgen west
of the airport. Common sense doesn't always figure into the equation. We
were turned down for a box over the College Station Airport (class D,
with tower). The tower folks were all for it but the airport manager was
afraid we'd plunge through the contaiment vessel of the nearby A&M
experimental reactor precipitating a nuclear holocaust. I guess it's
common knowledge that Brasilias, Baron's, and ATRs never crash on or near
reactors (the only aviation "disaster" they'd had there in the past five
years was a Lear jet that crashed on takeoff - they didn't ban Lears). I
think Bill Finigan has really done a good job of helping establish new
boxes and educating the feds but we need to keep the drive alive. Rocket