ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1773] RE: Boxes in General

From: McAleer <mcaleer at blast.net>

Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 18:07:35 UTC

Message:

 Patty wrote:

.."The FAA has wanted us to be away from airports (don't aerobatic pilots belong on
airports?)  Skydivers are encouraged to be there, why not us?  for "safety"
reasons...  Safety for other pilots in the area I suppose.  But they need to
understand that we are not a conflict to other traffic if the box is sityated
properly, and that the aerobatic pilots are always happy to work with other traffic.
SO, how about a concerted effort from IAC to demand (?) boxes at airports so we can
keep a better eye on each other."

The United States Parachute Organization started some sort of skydiver airport access
fund/program--a successful one-- a couple of years ago to deal with a lot of the same
problems you all have been discussing.  (Except they were skydiving related).  In
some cases the neighbors and/or airport operators did even want the drop zones to
operate out of the airport!  Noise, liability, interferring with existing traffic,
blah, blah, blah.

If the IAC were to do something (I hope) on more than a case by case basis, it might
be helpful for them to contact the USPA to compare notes on the problems and
successes they have had with this program.  For those of you who aren't familiar with
what the USPA is, it basically operates along the same lines as all the other
aviation alphabet organizations out there, (that's my personal opinion--not their
mission statement--grin), except that it is geared towards skydivers and their
related operations.  The USPA is located in Alexandria, VA  PH:  (703)836-3495	FAX:
(703)836-2834

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this set up for acro pilots.  I
think we could be more effective in getting boxes approved if we operated with a
larger bit of organization and more formal backing from the acro community than we
have now.

Blue Skies--Kris McAleer