ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1805] Re: MT3 Prop AD

From: Paul Eidsvik <media at digex.net>

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 03:11:49 UTC

Message:

 drew hurley wrote:

>         As was posted here recently, the FAA has issued an AD on the MT3 props
> calling for repetitive inspection/replacement of the hub depending on which
> model hub you have.  I have a Yak 55M with an MT3 prop less than a year old.
> For some reason I feel somewhat chagrined at having to pay for something that
> should have been right in the first place.  For some reason it somehow seems
> fair and equitable that the manufacturer bear the cost.  I haven't heard of
> any ADs where the users (us) got together and forced the manufacturer who put
> the bad part on the street to pay for the the AD compliance.  Has anyone?
>
>         Does this seem outrageous?  Am I thinking too much like a lawyer (hard to
> stop)?
>
>         I'd appreciate any input on the above.
>
> Thanks
> Drew Hurley
> Chap. 52

Yup.  Under ordinary circumstances I would agree with you, but given the
state of general aviation these days, I think your approach would just
make it harder for any manufacturer to make stuff for us.  A few more
years and we'll be back carving wood props - that is if we can find
anybody willing to sell us wood - after all it might be flawed.

regards,
paul