ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1835] Re: AD's om Exp A/C was MT3 Prop AD

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:54:54 UTC

Message:

 Ah, the good old "Experimental AD" thing again...

Nope.  AD's don't apply to any part of any aircraft which flies under an experimental
certificate.  However, if your local A&P or local FAA inspector disagrees with this,
then your life will be made miserable until you knuckle under.  I've had numerous
conversations with several FAA folks on this, and they all agree on this point.  The
Catch-22 is that if you admit to them that you don't really want to tend to everything
that looks like ad AD, then they think you are crazy and probably shouldn't hold a
pilots license and medical.  If you have ever gone eye ball to eye ball with a Fed (and
I consider several to be pretty good guys), you learn that it is just best to go your
own way and not press the point.

The only real rule is that an A&P (or the right repairman) has got to attest that the
aircraft is in condition for safe operation.  If he thinks your bendix mag switch, or
early PS5, or cut-down Hartzell is not in compliance, he can refuse to sign.  Get
another A&P or fix the problem.  Some of the "problems" are not necessarily worth
fixing.

And a Pitts homebuilt is a Pitts design, not a Pitts aircraft.  Any AD's which apply to
the Pitts Standard Type Certificate do not apply to a homebuilt flying under a special
airworthiness certificate.

But who really cares?...

Don Peterson
Midlothian, Tx.