ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:1844] Re: AD's om Exp A/C was MT3 Prop AD

From: AMSnaproll at aol.com

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:14:54 UTC

Message:

 Re Steve Pennypacker's question about a certified engine and or prop on an
experimental certificated aircraft, the minute it was installed on that
aircraft, it became "de-certified", if you will, simply because of the lack
of a requirement to comply with AD's and service bulletins and the "license"
to modify components at will. To put one of these components back on to a
standard airworthiness certificated aircraft would require it to be inspected
and certified to have had all the applicable AD's and service bulletins
complied with, in other words, to meet the same maintenance standard that it
would have met if it had been continually in service on an aircraft with a
standard airworthiness certificate.

As to the wisdom of compliance with AD's and service bulletins, only you can
decide if the one in question affects the level of safety that you personally
like to hold to. There are a lot of operators of experimental airplanes out
there who will talk a great line about safety, but who balk at spending the
dollars required to comply with these alterations repairs. My personal
position is that if the FAA has determined that an unsafe condition could
occur with a component installed on mt airplane, then it at least warrants an
inspection of that component to see if I and my mechanic agree.

Keep the greasy side pointed any way you please!
Ashley Messenger
Eagle N180MD