ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Lycoming O-290 banned?

From: Lee McGee <lee.mcgee at usa.net>

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:13:40 UTC

Message:

  A recent thread in the usenet newsgroup rec.aviation.homebuilt piqued
my interest; one writer opined that he thought that the O-290 engine
was banned outright from IAC competitions, because of prop hub problems?
I think this may have been because of aviaton use of the non-airplane
GPU O-290 engines that were once commonplace?

Like much of what I read on the internet, I suspect this information
might be apocryphal, but don't know.  As an IAC member and wannabe
competition flier, I thought I'd ask the august
members of this list.

The Acroduster Too I'm building won't be done for a few years yet
(and will have at least an IO-360!), so I was thinking about buying
something small and cheap to fly and practice with, like a Starduster
or Acroduster one-place.  These ships might have an O-290...

Thanks,

--
l e e   m c g e e  IAC 21900

    lee.mcgee at usa.net