ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Hoffmann propellers

Message: Re: [IAC] Hoffmann propellers

From: <Waclute at aol.com>

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:17:55 UTC

>Dave Lammers has a 2 blade Hoffman wood/composite prop on his S1S, and he
>didn't claim much improvement over a Sens. Metal 76x60, but its sounded
>like the wasn't too sure if he had too much or too little pitch/diameter.
>I liked the idea becaue of the load reduction on the crankshaft.  Darwin
>Jones has a 3 blade wood prop, a Prince, I think, and he likes it.  A 3
>blade Walker prop was on a "West Coast Pitts" in SA last year- was
>described as having less inertia/rpm holding on the upline after a pull.
>
>My big considerations are needing a new spinner, W&B, and possibly getting
>into harmonic dampner weights on the front of the prop for smooth running.
>For now, I like my well-balanced Metal EM8 76x60 Sens. prop.  If you call
>Hale Wallace, the importer, please let me know what he suggests.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Rich Klarich
>IAC 21376
>Pitts N60DD

I've flown up to visit Hale.  My homebase is only about a 10 minute flight
from him.    He, of course, recommended the Hoffmann.  He did at one time
mention harmonic dampners but we didn't get into any kind of discussion about
it.  I'm leaning towards the Hoffmann propeller because of the weight but I
wanted some unbiased opinions before spending the money.

I'm familiar with Darwin Jones's propeller.  We used to practice together when
he lived down here in the good ole Caronlina's.  He did so many modifications
to his plane at one time that we're not sure what performance difference the
propeller made.  It sounds great, though.  It sounds like a pack of cars
coming out of turn 4 at Daytona.