ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] flying

Message: Re: [IAC] flying

From: "Dennis N. Yugo" <dyugo at hooked.net>

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:33:27 UTC

Message:

  Jim,

This mailing list is not the REAL IAC.

Find your local chapter, attend and volunteer at some contests or practice
sessions. That's where the real grass-roots IAC is.

For example, when I was thinking of buying a Pitts many years ago, I drove
to the Delano, CA contest to investigate.  While just wandering around and
asking stupid questions I met Wayne Handley, three-time (I think)
California Champion and air show star. I was concerned about whether
someone my size could fit in an S-1S, and he told me that his Pitts was in
the hangar over yonder and I could try it on for size, whenever I felt like
it, whether he was there or not. I thought that was a pretty generous offer
to make to a total stranger. (I thought it was too small for me, so I
bought an S-2A, only to sell it and buy an S-1S a few years later. I guess
I grew less particular about comfort.)

I wrote a piece about another incident for Sport Aerobatics a few years
ago, an expanded version of which is on my web site at
http://www.wenet.net/~dyugo/html/a_lesson_in_aerobatics.htm
It's a bit long; I hope it's worth it.

Dennis Yugo
http://www.hooked.net/~dyugo